Sunday, October 15, 2023

Tête-à-tête with Susy

"Do you think I'm naïve, Susy?"

Susy is not my friend. In fact, she's the director of my department. If you see a tall energetic woman, a full of smile on her face, having a water bottle that makes a fizz every time she takes a sip, not to forget her high-quality tawny leather messenger bag from Italy (I assume), just like where she is from, that lays down next to her right desk leg, that's how you spot her at the office.

"Tami, I think you tend to set aside the negativity and choose to be positive instead. Being positive is an option, and you choose to be one. You know exactly how to handle your thoughts, and not let them penetrate you resentfully, and that's what makes you a good person. And stop calling yourself naïve!" she replied.

Every time during our one-on-one session, I would spend our last 5 minutes talking about life, well, my life, in general. A short yet meaningful deep conversation I had with Susy feels like Albom's visit to Morrie every Tuesday before he passed. 

Casting my mind back to one year ago on the day she hired me mid-way through my masters, she told me she has a trust in me. Little did she know, she saved my life. She saved my future..

No comments:

Post a Comment